Friday, July 20, 2012

ON THE RIVER

We’re off on the next great adventure, except it really doesn’t feel like an adventure. The RV is trailing along behind and we are heading to the coast but somehow it just doesn’t feel like an epic adventure. Maybe it’s because we have been this way so many times before. Maybe it’s because our summer plans, in part anyway, were born out of obligations. Maybe it’s because I didn’t spend countless hours planning and anticipating – that has become a huge part of the fun for me! Whatever the reason, we hit the road and my normal exuberance is most certainly tempered. I feel a bit badly about this as I fear it has ironically taken some of the shine off David’s holiday. I say ironically since he teases and rolls his eyes at my usual unbridled enthusiasm and blogging routine but I think he somehow enjoys that I do it nonetheless. I don’t feel the same enthusiasm for blogging as I have in the past but he insists I have fans who count on me! Since you are the only people I can think he might possibly mean, I have decided to periodically record and send you my ramblings – we’ll see where it goes!
A very last minute change certainly added to our vacation pleasure though as Mary-Kate was in the back seat as we began to roll along! At midnight, the night before we left, she arrived home from work bemoaning the fact that she was sick of Boston Pizza and wanted a holiday. She didn’t have to work again until Thursday and was stuck home. She suddenly realized that the only thing preventing her from leaving with us was a suitcase and a way back home. Eight hours later, with a little less sleep than she prefers, an overnight bag solved one problem and a VIA ticket the other. The lack of sleep is being dealt with as we drive!


Arriving at Barry and Kathy’s is always a pleasure. Sitting on their deck overlooking the St. Lawrence and the 1000 Islands is salve for the soul! They are well and living on the edge of their seats as they await news of the arrival of their first ... and second grandchildren! Despite a small worry about a blip in Erin’s blood pressure that earned her a night in hospital, the three days with the O’Brien’s was spent blissfully cruising the 1000 Islands, reminiscing with great friends and of course enjoying fruits of the vine! The campground we’re in is at the end of their street and while we have camped in some interesting places in our time, this is our first time camping at a liquor store! Not kidding! Small town Ontario and the local LCBO is also the campground. Works for us as supplies are always handy!


Our evenings on the deck are both relaxing and exciting. Our vantage affords a view of “Canadian” evening. The water craft – sailboats, fishing boats, lake barges, jet skis, speed boats, and canoes -- and the wildlife all vie for our attention as the day ends. Twilight reveals life through the Islands that was camouflaged during the day. Herons fish at the water’s edge and a fox comes out each evening to prance across the lawn beginning his night hunt. As darkness descends the fireflies twinkle in the surrounding wood and I just can’t help but smile and feel grateful that my life is so blessed.


Mary-Kate has spent her time cruising watching for a 25 year old heir apparent as we drift by multi-million dollar properties. Having enjoyed her holiday with her Godparents but largely unsuccessful in her endeavors to land the big one, we head to Gananoque to find the train. I say “find the train” since no one, including VIA, knows exactly where this whistle-stop is!! We know they don’t, we called and asked! Discovering yet again that rural roads have a system all their own when it comes to nomenclature, we manage to find the VIA platform with relative ease.


The realities of life pepper even the most blissful of holidays and as Mary-Kate klickity-klacked down the track we headed off to discover that our reason our truck tire is losing pressure is that we’ve picked up a ring nail somewhere along the way.


Not kept down for long we are back on the river enjoying an evening cruise through the Islands surrounding Ivy Lea. I’ve discovered my favorite part of Islands ... so far ... and we spent a glorious couple of hours on the water working up an appetite. Although it was quite late when we arrived home, happy hour is far too important to miss. By the time night falls we have made our way to the Boathouse Tavern for a very late supper. So worth it though as I’m confident that we squeezed every bit of fun there was to be had in this day! Tomorrow will mark the second leg of our journey east as we head to Quebec City to welcome whatever adventure awaits.

Skipper and Gilligan


One of many dock dwellers.





4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you found time for the blogging, Maggie! It's great travelling along with you through your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. It's the least I can do considering how many of your holidays I've tagged along on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie

    It always a pleasure to read your blog. Leave it to you to find a camPsite with a liquor store. Have a drink for me and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, no news since Quebec City? A responsible blogger must realize that she has followers whose only vacation this summer is a vicarious one! ;-\

    ReplyDelete